To help make your trip all the more pleasurable, we suggest bringing some or all of the following items.
· Bring plenty of water. It is important to stay hydrated.
· Hat and sun coverage
· Soft Soled Shoes or Sandals with Heel Straps
· Dress accordingly
All paddlers must be at least 8 years old and a minimum of 50 pounds for all trips. Paddlers that are 8-12 years old must paddle in a tandem kayak with an experienced paddler. Paddlers that are 12-17 must have previous kayak experience in order to use a single kayak.
Paddling is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy nature. In order to ensure your safety, we recommend you read these tips before starting your adventure.
1. IMPORTANT – Always wear your life jacket
2. Make sure you bring drinking water and stay hydrated!
3. Check the weather forecast before you leave and pack accordingly.
4. Know the water conditions. Sometimes the river will be high, low.
5. Never paddle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
6. Know your paddling abilities and plan your outing accordingly.
7. Avoid fallen trees and other in-stream obstructions.
8. Do not stand up in a kayak, and avoid weight shifts that may cause capsize.
9. Always carry identification that includes your name, phone number, pertinent medical information, and emergency contact information (preferably in a waterproof bag. You can also store your cell phone and camera in the bag as well.
10. Inform others of your trip plan.
For your safety and the protection, please do not bring any glass containers.
1. Please do not litter.Do your part to keep the river clean so the next person can have the same experience.
2. Leave the river and shoreline cleaner than you find them.
3. Leave rocks and plants as you find them.
4. Respect wildlife; stay clear of nests, dens, and rookeries.
5. Please do not share your food with animals (Human food is unhealthy for wildlife).
6. Avoid taking disposable containers; take it in, take it out.
7. Be considerate of others.
8. Give fishermen a wide berth.
Louisville Area Canoe and Kayak club
Ohio River Water Levels
Falls of the Ohio